background

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Kids say the darndest things : )

Yesterday Keller was asking me about the Beethoven movies (the ones with the Saint Bernard in them). He wanted to know when the first one was made. I told him it came out when I was 18 years old and he said, "Oh, so it was black-and-white?" in all seriousness. Not what I wanted to hear the day before my 35th birthday!

Casey had a cute one yesterday, too. He made me a hamburger out of blocks and I played along, saying it was the best one I ever tasted, and asking where he got it. He said he got it from the grocery store. I said, "Oh, you mean Giant?" (which is the name of our local grocery store. Then I remembered that I hadn't corrected his pronunciation (he said 'grocery tore', and he is working on "s" sounds with his speech teacher). So I said, "Did you get it at the grocery TORE or the grocery STORE?" and he said, "You know, Humongous." Get it? He called the grocery store "Humongous" instead of "Giant." Too funny.

I have one more story to share, in case anyone doubted how obnoxiously proud I am of my kids' humor and intellect. Keller made me a birthday card this morning and brought it up when they brought me breakfast in bed. He had drawn a world map on a piece of paper, complete with continents. Then he glued small plastic animals to the appropriate continents (panda to Asia, lion to Africa) and labeled the map with some pretty darn good inventive spelling. The kid is smart. Scary smart sometimes. What six year old makes that kind of card for their mom? He did, however, mention that he had drawn "that country shaped like a boot, what's it called--Texas?" Hee hee.

This is what the Huffman house looks like on a typical weekend morning--we loved that Marley joined in on the "Huffman Family Jam Session" with a few dance moves this morning!
Here's a picture of Casey showing us one of his many (invisible) boo-boos which needed a band-aid urgently. He is usually sporting 5-7 band-aids at a time right now. It's his current "thing", so we're just going with it. Note the outfit, too. He insisted on wearing a pajama shirt unbuttoned all day, even when we headed to the movies this afternoon (Dave stayed home while Marley napped and I took the boys to see "Bolt"). When we asked why he wanted to wear his shirt like that, he said, "Because it makes me look like Peter Parker." I did finally get him to put a shirt on underneath the pjs. And here is Marley getting her first tastes of ice cream. They told us when we were in China that she wouldn't like anything that wasn't warmed up, even water. She has proven that theory wrong time and time again since we've been home, but we knew ice cream was a stretch. Although she may not look like it in the video, she loved it and couldn't get enough!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Presley was standing next to me when I played the jam session video and she started dancing away. I think she wants to be a groupie!! My daughter always asks me what things were like "in the old days." She couldn't believe that we had a tv back then!! Loved the videos of Marley!!