background

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Home sweet home!



We made it home around 10:30 last night. Other than a major poop explosion in Guangzhou, Marley traveled so well, it was amazing. That poop explosion cost me a shirt and tank top, and cost Marley an outfit, jacket and socks (all of which we left in the garbage can in the GZ airport!). Yikes. We had some trouble in Beijing and almost missed our flight. It is the first time in my life that I have actually been truly hysterical---the type of panicky sobbing that probably should have earned me a good slap in the face to help me regain composure. It took so long to go through security, etc. and then we needed to get to a gate that was soooo far away. I was sprinting through the airport with Marley in the stroller, a heavy backpack on my back, and pulling my carry-on bag of breakable souvenirs. I got a ride from one of those little buggy drivers in the airport, and when he finally dropped me off at the elevator to go down to the gate, he told me that I needed to pay 20 yuan for the ride. My flight was supposed to leave in 10 minutes, and I couldn't find my wallet in my backpack. I completely lost it. Slightly embarassing in hindsight, but the driver let me off the hook. When I got down to the gate, it turned out the flight was running late and people hadn't even boarded the bus to go to the gate yet. Whew.

Our flight from Beijing to NY was pretty painless, other than the fact that the old man sharing our row was gross. After about 30 minutes of seeing him pick his nose and flick it into the aisle, I finally handed him a Snoopy package of tissues. He took one and tried to hand the pack back to me, but I refused to accept it. I thought I had maybe shamed him into stopping gross behaviors. But instead, he proceeded to use the remaining tissues to fold into elaborate spitoons during the rest of the flight. And he belched. A lot. He was just a really gross old man! Here's a picture of Marley looking a little concerned about sitting next to the guy for 13 1/2 hours:



JFK immigration was a nightmare. We sat in a hot room and listened to the officers bicker over who was supposed to be working the door vs. the desk, and who had messed up on a professional golfer's immigration process the day before. It was terrible. There was an other family there who I had met in China--they were adopting a second 3 year old boy. We were talking about how rude the immigration officers were being, particularly to the Chinese people. JFK airport was awful in general. I had to get my luggage after customs & immigration, go to a Delta counter to get my boarding pass (which was another 25 minute line) and when I finished there, the counter agent told me that he couldn't guarantee our luggage would get on the plane on time, so I had to take the bags (and Marley, and the stroller) and go outside and walk on the road to the next terminal to drop the bags off at a baggage drop counter. It was another huge line there, so I finally bitched and complained enough that they took my bags for me and let Marley & I go. I had decided to check my carry-on bag, which was a big risk because it had my very expensive camera in it, as well as a bunch of jade pieces. But I couldn't stomach the thought of hauling it and my backpack and Marley through another airport. Luckily only one thing got broken, the serving tray for the jade tea set I bought Marley. Disappointing, but it could've been a lot worse. Anyway, when we finally got to the gate for our flight, we found out it was delayed for an hour and a half. That last flight was rough, I actually had some air sickness issues, but Marley snoozed and it was a really short flight.

I was so happy to see the boys in the airport that I just hugged them and sobbed. Casey wouldn't stop hugging me. Keller was just enthralled by Marley. Everything has gone well so far. Marley slept until 10am this morning, took a nap, and then went to bed at 10pm tonight--so I don't think we're too far off on getting adjusted to the time difference. At least for her--not sure how long it will take me. All is going well at home, mostly as expected--Keller wants to dote on Marley and Casey is literally jumping on the furniture to make sure he gets his share of attention. Marley is taking it all in stride and is amazing me with how well she is walking all around the house. She is even bending down to play with toys now, which she had not done in China. She has been very friendly with both grandmas and her cousin Nikki. But she definitely knows who Mommy is and likes to keep me in her sights. She has done great with Dave, too--it seems as if the week between when he left Nanjing and we arrived here didn't impact her bonding with him at all. He was even the one to put her to bed tonight.

We feel so lucky to finally be home and all together as a family of five.

Casey offering up so Teddy Grahams to his new little sis


Our first family photo--as usual, only Dave & I are looking at the camera!




The boys helped her open her Christmas presents. In the normal flurry of flying gift wrap, I missed who got her what. But thanks to all! She is amazed at her stash of toys and books.




One of her gifts was this soft scarf that I bought at a craft fair. I wrapped it around her head and she really seemed to like it there. Uh oh--I am just not gifted with the ability to accessorize!






Enjoying the yummy cake the boys and Grandma Nancy had made for her

The cake said "Happy Party" and the house was decorated with balloons, red streamers, and Chinese dragon decorations. So cute!

2 comments:

lorihays said...

Welcome home!!! What a precious family - Marley looks like she fits in perfectly! The picture with the scarf on her head is adorable! It could be a magazine cover! Glad you're home safe and sound and can start settling in TOGETHER. I've enjoyed following your journey!

Blessings,
Lori and family

Steph said...

Glad to see you made it home! I had one of those panicky episodes too but thank goodnes no nasty old men to have to sit by!!
Stephenie