background

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom

(Another post from Dave, the Dad of the house)

I just want to let the world know it is a very special day today. My mom (and the kids Grandma Nancy) is celebrating a special milestone birthday today.

When I got married years ago, I wrote my mom a note about all she has meant to me. I won't replay that note here. But, I told her that no one else has supported me and been there for me every single time I needed it like my mother. She raised two boys virtually on her own for many years while working full time. And, now that Holly and I are walking the same path raising our 3 kids, I'm continually amazed at how she was able to pull it off. She taught me so much about how to approach life with dignity, commitment, and perseverance even when the cards are stacked against you.

My mom sacrificed so much for us. For instance, she helped me travel all over the place as I got older when she never had the chance. I guess it is typical that I didn't grow to appreciate fully how much she had done for us until I'd grown up myself and started trying this parenting thing myself.

My mom and her husband Bob are now planning to take a cross country trip in a few weeks. I'm so happy that she is now able to make a trip like this. And, we've put together a birthday gift for her to take along on their journey.

I love you mom. Happy Birthday.

Mom/Grandma Nancy's Birthday Gift:


We put together a bag of essentials for her multi-week cross-country trip later this month. Goodies we included: national parks book, flashlight (for late night map reading), binoculars (for viewing the wildlife in the parks), heavy duty stainless steel water bottles, a book on CD to help pass some of the long un-interesting stretches of highway, a journal to take notes as they travel, and the ultra important road snacks. All stuffed into a totebag that they can throw on the back seat when they hit the highway!

2 comments:

Mom N said...

Well, you guys don't know me--I found you lurking on Themeanestmom blog and I liked you immediately because you were pro-natural food. Honestly, when I read Jana's predilection for sugar & fat I was a little horrified, but your comment was sane & cute despite your "other" preferences. Anyhow, I loved this post from Dave about his mom. What a nice guy. And what a great lady his mom sounds like. And kudos to your whole family for being sharp AND cute AND "natural." Way to go! (I don't have a blog. You'll never find me. But I'm nice.)

Unknown said...

Hey, I am a bit disappointed to see your daughter smooching with another boy. I thought she was a nice girl!!! LOL We loved seeing you and can't wait to see you again.
Love to you.
AIM:)