background

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Be nice to girls . . . sometimes

This evening I took both boys and a buddy of theirs out to dinner and to see the new Ice Age movie. On the drive there, we passed a kindergarten classmate, who happened to be a girl. The boys started going on and on, in their 6 & 4 year old macho manner, about how they don't like girls, girls are only good for scaring, etc. I told them that someday they would see things differently and they might think the girls are pretty. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Keller (to his friend): "You have to be nice to one girl when you're a grown up."

"Buddy": "Why would I do that?"

Keller: "So you can have kids. You have to marry one to have kids. You wouldn't be here if your dad didn't marry your mom."

"Buddy": (thinks for a minute) "Well, are you gonna do that?"

Keller: "Yes, I'm going to have kids."

"Buddy": "No, I mean be nice to a girl."

Keller: "You have to if you want to marry one. Just remember that when you're a grown up, OK?"

"Buddy": "OK, I guess I can be nice to one sometimes."

Me: "So Casey, what do you think about that?"

Casey: (very excitedly) "I got two nuts in my package."

I nearly veer off the street in our calm residential neighborhood and yell "You have WHAT??"

Casey: "I got two nuts in my package, look."

I do a quick check in the review mirror and breathe a sigh of relief when I see that he is holding up two acorns from the Ice Age 3 happy meals the kids had for lunch earlier. These boys are already to blame for grey hairs and frequent urges to imbibe. What the heck will I do when they are teenagers??

No comments: