background

Monday, April 13, 2009

MOBs vs. MOGs

There is a writer/mom whose blog I love to read, and a recent post of hers gave me pause for reflection on my life as a MOB (mom of boys). Marley hasn't been here long enough to show me too much of what it's like to be a MOG (mom of girls) yet, but I'm sure she's got a lot in store.

Here is the post from the writer's blog, which can be found here: http://themamahood.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/04/girls-girls-girls.html
(Take time to read some of her other posts--she's very witty, but also tackles tough subjects)

I often wonder how my life would be different if I was a MOB (mom to boys) vs. a MOG (mom to girls). I have a lot of MOB friends, and it seems like their lives are vastly different, no matter how "gender-neutral" we like to think our parenting styles are these days.

As a MOG:

1. My laundry comes in darks, whites and pinks.
2. Legos are used to build castles, stages and baby beds.
3. There's always sequins and glitter in the crevices of the couch.
4. We adore Star Wars, but mostly like to play that Queen Amidala, Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker get married, go camping or engage in other, not-so-violent pursuits. And no longer like Obi-Wan Kenobi, because he called Anakin and Ahsoka "stupid."

5. Screaming at the top of your lungs is an appropriate response to happiness, sadness, anger, boredom and excitement.

6. A dance party could break out at any moment—and it's a requirement to rock at least a tiara and beads if you're attending.

So, MOBs, what's your life like?





And here is my response:

I read your post "Girls, Girls, Girls" and just had to chime in. As a MOB with two boys (6 1/2 and 4), who finally added a 'G' from China 3 months ago, my version of your list would go something like this:

1. My laundry comes in muddy, bloody, and boogery.

2. Legos are used to build hamster mazes, Ben 10 scenes, and are mostly left laying around so that I can step on them in the middle of the night.

3. There's always dirt and mulch in crevices (couch, bodily and other).

4. We adore Star Wars because everyone knows that light sabers aren't as dangerous to young developing minds as other violent weapons, right?

5. Screaming at the top of your lungs is an appropriate response. Period.

6. A wrestling match could break out at any moment--and it's a requirement to stretch the necks of your opponent's shirt beyond elastic capabilities and to always aim for the face.

So, so different

1 comment:

Amy said...

Very funny!! My boys scream too! Actually, I think they scream louder and higher pitched than the girls!!