background

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Keller's Poem

At about 2:30 this afternoon, I got a call from Keller's kindergarten teacher. She asked if I had a second to talk. Those aren't usually the words parents want to hear from their child's teacher, but nonetheless, I did indeed have a second free to chat. So she put Keller on the phone and had him read me a poem he had written all by himself in school today. The kids made kites and the teacher asked them each to write 'a sentence' about their kite. Here is what Keller wrote (with the spelling corrected, but otherwise all his own creation):

Kite, kite, I want to fly
Oh so high, in the sky
Blow me away in the cool morning breeze
Don't get stuck in the tree
Sad, sad, sad I would be


Not bad for a six year old, eh? The teacher even took him to see the assistant principal so she could read his poem and let him pick something out of her treasure box. He is so proud of himself, which is the coolest thing to me.

1 comment:

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

An athlete and a poet? He's a Double threat...triple if you count what a cutie he is!! : )