background

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mothering. . .the toughest job you'll ever love


In typical Huffman style (mostly driven by Keller's chronic state of excitement), we had a fun and full Mothers Day. Dave & the kids brought me chocolate chip waffles in bed, as well as some really precious cards that they made for me. My gift was the 'purchase' of a little bit of the Brazilian Rain Forest via this great organization: www.plantabillion.org We took a picnic lunch to Burke Lake and spent a couple of hours there walking, playing on the playgrounds, etc. Marley is getting really brave on the playground equipment, which is terrifying to everyone but her! At 4:00, Keller and I headed over to his Track event. He and I ran the "Trophy Mile" together, and he's pretty excited about the medal and trophy he earned. We ran the mile in about 11 minutes, which is pretty darn good for a 6 year old if you ask me. He also got a chance to throw the shotput, which he said felt like a ridiculously heavy skee ball. Dave made his specialty dish tonight (tortellini with an awesome sauce, focaccia, and salad) and after dinner, we worked off some calories by running around the yard like nuts. Alas, the job of a mother never ends, so I did have to spend a little time explaining to Casey that the game is called "tag" not "slap" for a reason, and that he needed to take it easy with his little lethal weapons.

Here are some photos and videos from the day:

Check out Marley's tummy hanging out. Heehee. She has gained 4 1/2 pounds since she came home, and is still just barely on the growth charts.


Trophy Mile. Before. . .Looking a little nervous.

After . . . One of the best parts of being a mom is watching your kids do something that makes them feel proud.

Backyard Fun Part 1: Here's Casey sitting on top of the monkey bars so no one could reach him during the game of Tag.
Backyard Fun Part 2: I love to hear Marley singing her sweet little jibberish for me.

Backyard Fun Part 3: Keller is living proof of the close link between humans and apes.

I feel blessed and lucky to be the mom of three incredible kids who bring so much to our home and family, as well as the wife of a guy who 'gets it' in terms of how hard this job of mothering can be. It is hard, so hard that some days 3pm seems like a good time for a beer and 8pm seems like a good time to throw in the towel and go to bed. There are days when I laugh to avoid crying, times when I cry but still hope I'll someday be able to look back and laugh, and days I'd like to have zapped from my memory by laser. But mostly, there are good days, the kind of days that make the rest of it seem like a little blip in comparison.

My thoughts are with Marley's birth mom today. My understanding is that the celebration of Mothers Day is fairly new to China, but I'm sure that her mother thinks of her with a heavy heart today and every day that she lives without her. If I could send a message to her today, I would tell her that I love Marley as if she had been born to me and that I promise to raise this sweet, resilient, stubborn little munchkin in a way that reflects that most genuine of loves, the love of a mama.

I've also thought so much about my ESL student, Mirian, who lost her fight with brain cancer in the winter. She left behind a 9 year old daughter, Brenda, who is now back in Peru, living with family who she has never really known. Mirian was an amazing lady--determined, funny, strong. I wish that she was here to celebrate this Mothers Day and many more with her daughter. I hope that Brenda has found someone who loves her like a mother should, and that she continues to feel Mirian's presence for the rest of her life.

To all mothers everywhere, whether you are mothers by birth or adoption, stepmothers, foster mothers, godmothers, just-like-a-mom mothers, soon-to-be mothers, hoping-to-be mothers. . .We are doing the most incredible job there is to be done. Take it seriously. Love your children, love yourself. (And a beer at 3pm every once in awhile is a good way to love yourself!).

1 comment:

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

What a beautiful post Holly. Well put and I'm with you on the 3pm beer and 8pm bedtime (I really did crawl into bed at 9 last night because I was fried) Looks like you had a wonderful mother's day. What a lucky mama indeed!