background

Monday, May 20, 2013

Wales Weekend

Keller and I spent the weekend horseback riding and camping in the Black Mountains of Wales.  The scenery was amazing, the experience was authentic (the best kind!), and the company was excellent.  

Sometimes when I look at Keller, I can't believe how much he is changing right before my eyes.  I will be forever grateful for the gift of time with my boy before he completely breaks my heart by growing up.  

Our first stop on the trip was at Hay-on-Wye, a cool little town full of antique book stores, funky shops and quirky cafes.  





Outside of the castle walls, there are shelves full of old books where you buy books on the honor system--50pence for paperbacks and 1 pound for hardcovers.  Keller and I bought three antique books from these shelves--a bible from 1885, an English composition school book from 1900, and a Book of Common Prayer from 1902.  It was cool to sift through the books and look for finds.

From Hay, we drove a very long and windy 7 miles (one hour of drive time!) to our destination.  We passed wild ponies, a billion sheep, and one crazy mountain biker along the way.



We did 2-hour trail rides both Saturday and Sunday, with a night of camping and two delicious home-cooked meals thrown in to make the trip complete.  





 Taking advantage of nature's refrigerator :)









 At the top of the mountain on our second ride, we were rewarded with a wild pony encounter.  Apologies for the blurred pictures--my horse, Charlotte, wasn't keen on stopping :)



The weekend was an unforgettable experience for both of us (although I am hoping that the sore bottom I brought home is soon just a faded memory.)

Looking at my over-exposed pictures with the blown out skies, I am regretting my choice to take my cheap camera and am also desperately sad that my free trial of LightRoom expired and I don't have a good photo editing program.  I guess I know what my next purchase will be.  

No comments: