background

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Thoughts on hitting the big 3-7

37 years, done. That's roughly 13,505 days, not accounting for leap years and any strange zodiac calculations that I'm uncapable of figuring out. I am not often inclined to bouts of deep personal reflection and introspection, but tend to steer my life using abrupt mid-course directional shifts when something feels not-quite-right. So rather than elaborating on the joys and sorrows of my life thus far, I'll pose this question to you, in honor of the beginning of my 38th year. . .

As for me?

I'm planning to give more, with a goal of one family volunteer activity/month this year, as well as volunteering individually when I can:

Our whole fam volunteered on MLK Day (we made dog and cat toys for animal rescues, cards for solider and for military kids, packed snack and activity bags for homeless kids, made bracelets for kids in the hospital, and valentines for former foster youth who are away at college, without a permanent family to send them care packages)






Say yes more often, and worry about the mess later

Keller's idea for today's snow day--Water World, which included a Sink or Float? station, biggest splash contest, dam building and a boat race; followed my Marley giving all of her plastic animals a good scrubbing on the kitchen floor






Feed my body and soul with the things that make me feel strong and healthy

My new favorite cookbook, which is helping me as I transition back to being a vegetarian--2+ weeks and counting with no meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, alcohol or coffee <

Dave has made me promise to read this and learn how to clear some mental clutter and rid myself of quiet-induced giggling fits for at least 8 minutes/day<

My creative and talented brother-in-law and his fiancee gave me this, with advice to read it slowly as I allow myself to indulge in thinking of myself and my writing; I have found inspiration in its pages so far


Along that vein, Write more, make less excuses for not spinning stories from the ideas in my head that have been brushed aside for too long



Accept each experience I'm given, and love it for what it gives and takes from my one wild and precious life, because in words we learned as kids of the 70s-80s, You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have the facts of life ;) Told you I wasn't big on serious introspection!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Holly. I think you forgot one: travel to Portland OR more.