background

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A short gratitude list and some other stuff

Nice title, right? What can I say? I can't be eloquent all of the time. Ok, so I kind of dropped the ball on the idea of a weekly post of five things I am grateful for. I have a good excuse. . . three kids! But, I want to get back to it, so here's my short list for this week. I'm grateful for:

1. A great first report card. Keller's first ever report card was really, really good! The academic stuff is important and we're excited and proud to know he's doing well. . .but let's face it, Keller is a one-man circus in terms of high energy stunt performances. We were happy to see high 'marks' on behavioral stuff and to read such positive comments from his teacher about his behavior. She even called him 'delightful.' All I can say about that is "Whew."

2. Dave. I received some heartbreaking news on Tuesday night that one of my former students passed away of brain cancer. I knew her well and had visited with her at home a few times after her tumor was removed and while she was undergoing treatments. I did not know she had taken such a turn for the worse and can't believe that she is gone. I came home and sat on the couch and cried. Dave knew that what I needed from him was just to hold my hand and to agree with me when I said that it sucked and was totally unfair that this funny, sweet, dedicated single mom had lost her battle with cancer.

3. Miracles. I can't go into details here, as it's not my place to share someone else's wonderful news . . . but a very special child who owns a piece of my heart has finally found her family.

In other news . . . Marley had her MRI and CT scan today, and we hope to hear from the neurosurgeon tomorrow to hear what his impressions are from the scans. She did very well with everything. I was able to stay with her until she was completely under anesthesia. It was unimaginably (is that a word?) hard to give her a kiss and walk out of the MRI room once she was asleep. She was under for a total of about 2 hours. She was fussy and hungry when she woke up, but has been a pretty easy-going little gal since we got home. I am hopeful that there won't be any surprises when we hear the results, but whatever we learn tomorrow doesn't change anything. She is such a blessing and we'll do whatever needs to be done for her.

Here are a few pics and videos from the past week. I swear, Marley is a really smiley gal, but she does not like to smile for the camera. She is much more interested in rushing over and looking at the pictures on the camera!

Marley pulling up in the crib. She's an ace at it now, but it was hard to get to this point. Look how proud she is!

Marley rocking out with Keller's RoboQuad

Hanging out at the playground at Keller's school.

Keller's creation of the day. He loves to take apart broken electronics and make things. This is something he called "Auto Cart" and was a spy camera. Gotta love the imagination! I found Casey unscrewing a screw from the back of our home PC the other day, so we had to have a talk about the difference between broken and functioning electronics!

Casey after he 'licked the beaters' from Marley's birthday cake

Marley feeding herself her birthday cake

No comments: