background

Friday, May 9, 2008

Immigration delay, ugh.

I got a letter in the mail today saying that my fingerprints, which were taken on May 1st, came back as 'unclassifiable.' I need to go be re-printed, and the appointment they gave me is not until May 22nd. So, rather than being 1 week into the 7-9 week wait for our final piece of paperwork, we are 2 weeks away from even starting the countdown. The immigration clearance is the last document that we need to include in our dossier before it can be sent off to China. This setback will most likely mean a 3-week difference in how soon we can travel to bring Marley home.

So, so, so disappointing. She turned 15 months old on Tuesday, which means another month of her life has passed without us being there to see her grow and change.

I am trying to keep a positive outlook about it as best as I can. We were lucky to have received our Pre-Approval to adopt her in such a short time (2 weeks versus the 4+ we had been expecting). Our local immigration office typically takes 9 weeks to process applications, but has been completing them in closer to 7 1/2 weeks. With those shortened time frames, it makes up for the three 'extra' weeks we'll have to wait for our immigration clearance, right? Yeah, well, I'm trying to convince myself of that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly,
Can you request a rush with Immigration based on anything with Marley's Special Need? Maybe if she will have surgery here or need to see a particular doctor? It is worth a shot...
Best Wishes...
Erin
(using my DD's AIM ID)

Anonymous said...

I think the comment above was left at a community computer when I forgot to log out. It is my id, but not me. The poster probably didn't notice that i was still logged in. Could you delete this post---and the one above~since I did not author it?
sbay